Re: [TowerTalk] array matrix measurements

To: Rudy Severns <n6lf@arrl.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] array matrix measurements
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:35:37 -0800
Rudy Severns wrote:
> I've made these kinds of matrix measurements several times since I got my
> hands on a VNA.  It's not too hard and actually a lot of fun.  I've found
> that if I've been careful, the reciprocal measurements are usually within 1%
> or better.  This holds true even when the values themselves are really
> strange, as they can be when there's a parasitic radiator coupling into the
> array.
>
> Usually I do the measurements using only impedance measurements which is
> very straight forward but occasionally I'll use the transmission mode and a
> current transformer to do a direct measurement of coupling.  Both ways seem
> to work fine as long as I pay attention to the details.

which VNA are you using?

I've been using Tom's version sold by TenTec.. I've been pretty happy
with it (especially now that there's CocoaVNA for the mac), although I
don't have any strong interferers, either, so the "wide open" receiver
isn't an issue.

I suspect that almost any of the new crop of analyzers/VNAs would give
good (symmetric) results on matrix measurements. It's trying to do it
with the older  MFJ-259 or Autek units that would be challenging,
because of the dynamic range issues, I suspect.