Re: [TowerTalk] tower resonances

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] tower resonances
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 17:23:54 -0800
On Fri, 13 Feb 2009 23:08:00 -0000, N7mal wrote:

>Why not turn your computer off and quit reading
>krap from guys who never built a real antenna in their lives.

Mal and John,

I'm not sure who you're talking about having "never built a real
antenna in their lives" but it damn sure doesn't apply to guys
like Rudy Severns, or Jim Lux, or to K7LXC, or to me. If you doubt
that, look at the knowledge they've shared with the ham community
on their webpages. The serious science they're doing is both quite
practical and well documented, and is based on building and
studying real antennas in rigorous ways that actually measure how
well they work. Rudy has made major contributions to the ARRL
Handbook and ARRL Antenna Book. Rudy, Jim, and I are all working
on the next edition of the ARRL Handbook. In putting together my
station, I have studied, learned from, used directly, and
benefitted from. many design concepts that Rudy and other ARRL
authors have written.

K7LXC collaborated with others on a serious team effort to measure
the performance of a lot of antennas under well controlled
conditions, and they published the results. For quite a while,
Steve has made his living building and installing towers for hams.
I've been on the ground crew for several of his installations here
in the Bay Area, and they're first class. Steve is currently
finishing up a book on towers, to which I've contributed a chapter
on grounding. I believe that Jim Lux is also a contributor. Jim's
day job is working as an engineer at JPL on our space program.

I didn't care much for the politics of the first mayor Daley of
Chicago, but he had a great response for those who criticized him
-- "What trees do they plant?" It applies directly to comments
like yours.

73,
Jim Brown K9YC