Re: [TowerTalk] KT34A problem

To: towertalk@contesting.com, gdslagel@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] KT34A problem
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 09:11:44 EST

In a message dated 2/15/2009 4:55:28 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>   just got a KT34A up on my tower.? I had tested it on  the ground, sitting
on top of a couple sawhorses, and SWR seemed fine?on all 3  bands according
to my mfj antenna analyzer.? Got it up on the tower and I  can't get even the
slightest dip in SWR from 7mhz to 40mhz... let alone on  14.025, 21.050 and
28.050 where I expect?it!? I've looked at connections and  all looks well
except
I'm a little suspicious of the connection between the  matching section and
the driven element.? The aluminum strap which tightens  around the matching
section and driven element seems loose.? This is a  new/used antenna so I'm not
sure if that was the case when it was new.?
?
>  I've put a different coax on it to make sure the coax  isn't the problem.?
Checked the antenna analyzer on another antenna and all  seems well there.?
Tried continuity testing between the coax and different  elements and
basically, there was continuity everywhere... coax braid to both  elements,
etc.... I
suppose I was seeing that?because the balun was still in  line?
?
>  My best idea is to take the balun off the antenna and  then do some more
continuity testing.? I'm also wondering if the old balun (15  years) didn't
make it through the trip from the ground to the tower.?

High swr everywhere is typically a feedline  problem. Take your analyzer and
connect it directly to the feedpoint. If the  antenna looks okay there (that
is, it dips somewhere and looks like an  antenna), then start working your way
back. From your description, the balun  sounds suspicious. The only way to
test one without a bunch of test  equipment is to substitute another one.

>  Of course, the next step after that will be to take the  antenna back off
the tower... ugh!!!

It's too late now but  if you were to use a tram system for antenna
installation it would allow you to  run the antenna up and down easily to check
and
possibly retune your antenna off  the ground before installing it. I can send
you
a chapter on this technique from  my upcoming tower book if you're
interested.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH