[TowerTalk] 43' Vertical

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 43' Vertical
From: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 18:56:31 -0700
Thanks to all that took the time to answer my questions relative to the 43'
vertical.

I think I've been talked out of the venture.

But wait, there's more!

I've been toying with this idea for several years, but have never executed
because of FEAR.

I have a 72' crank-up tower, with my 6M EME array atop.  For EME, I usually run
the tower at about 50'.

The assembly at the top is four 37', 7 element yagis on a 30' X 30' H-frame.
The effective physical height is approximately 87'.

I don't have a clue what the electrical height would be.

I'm getting the impression that this tower would be electrically long enough to
be tuned with a motor-driven  capacitor, instead of all the parts I've
accumulated to build a high power gamma match.

The feed would be a gamma match.  I do have a three wire contraption attached
to the top of the tower, so the base end of that would be the feed point.

If I could feed the tower with a moter driven vacuum cap it would simplify the
endeavor.

Now, for the FEAR:  I fear that some night I'd be too tired, or I'd forget, to
crank the tower down, and the wind would come up and blow the tower down.  An
entirely reasonable fear, I think.

It is a Hygain HD tower.  I don't have a clue as to how much wind it would
handle.

73,
Barrie, W7ALW, DN36au,
QRV 6M, 432 & 1296 EME