Re: [TowerTalk] 43' vertical mod for true resonance on 80M

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 43' vertical mod for true resonance on 80M
From: Jan Erik Holm <sm2ekm@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 08:15:49 +0100
I would stay away from those old WW2 caps. I have almost the
same kind of antenna. 95 ft vertical, 4 top loading wires,
resonant at approx 1725 kHz. Series cap is a 500 pF fixed
vac cap paralleled with a very large "bread slicer" cap being
approx 300 pF. I am using approx 250 radials. With this
SWR is approx 1.5-1, I would need some additional L, however
I feed antenna with 7/8 inch hardline so I don´t worry too
much about it. My only problem is I´m not active enough.
This 95ft vertical used to be base loaded with a tuning
box. I have not made any measurements but my gut feeling
is that this top loaded version is much better, i e I do
feel "louder".

73 Jim SM2EKM