Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Collapse - New Kensington, PA @ K3MJW

To: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>, Towertalk <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Collapse - New Kensington, PA @ K3MJW
From: Charles Mills <w3yni1@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:27:54 -0500
One of the things that happens in a case like this is an "oscillation"
begins to occur with the tower once a guy has been compromised or even if it
is just hit hard enough to cause some backlash.  Pretty much a recipe for
disaster.

The guys keep it steady but no tower can survive a guy being compromised for
long especially with Cat 1 hurricane winds beating it.  We had sustained
winds in the 50-60 with gusts to 90 that night.  The design of these towers
just doesn't allow for this kind of catastrophic failure of its support
system.

This was posted for many reasons:
1> Maybe the group can learn from it.
2> Maybe we can learn from it with some constructive criticism with out
design which no current members had anything to do with  - it had been up
for a LONG time.
3> Serve as a reminder to people to keep an eye on things when the WX turns
bad.
4> Satisfy the collective interest of the group given the subject matter of
the reflector.

Website is http://www.skyviewradio.net - you can see some before pics of
said tower.

Chuck / W3YNI