Re: [TowerTalk] Radial wire sources?

To: "Rich Hallman - N7TR" <rich@n7tr.com>, <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial wire sources?
From: "Wilson A. Caselli" <wcaselli@webkorner.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 12:59:23 -0500
Rich:

I bought 500 foot rolls of #16 AWG THHN Insulated Stranded wire from Lowe's
for around $30.00/spool.
Lowe's also has solid if you really think it would improve things, and it is
a bit cheaper.
Home Depot also has the same wire.  #14 wire is about twice the price (2X
the CU).

While you are at Lowe's, buy Insulation Support wires for 24" insulation
which sells for around $10.00/box 100.
Cut these into 3 pieces each, yielding about 300 wires.  Bend wires in a
vice into "U" shapes.
These wires are spring steel and are hard to cut... I used large linemen's
pliers over several
days of cutting & bending (something to do while listening for DX).  My 64
foot radials needed
about 30 bent wires per radial to hold them down into the grooves cut by a
lawn edger (about 1" deep).
I am also covering over all the wires with dirt to keep the Nylon outer
jacket from deteriorating, and
be certain that Mr. Lawnmower will not get to them.  BTW: "U" shaped lawn
stakes sell for $10.00/75 pcs at Lowe's.

So far, I have 20 of my planned 30 radials installed this way on a small 1/3
acre lot.
My Hy-Tower likes these radials,our backs do not.

Wilson Caselli, K1MIJ