Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Wire

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radial Wire
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 18:30:51 -0500

Hal Kennedy wrote:
> I'm with Jim on going smaller rather than larger.  My radials are all
> either #22 tinned copper, which I bought a huge roll of from The Wireman
> before copper prices went up, or CAT5 wire.  I haven't checked lately,
> but 1,000 of CAT5 at Home Depot has been pretty reasonable - and that's

If you want to use wires like CAT5, ask around.  I've put in a whole
network with 5 machines.  I put the word out and 3, 1000 foot boxes of
CAT5e turned up on my doorstep. No, they weren't full <sigh> BUT IIRC
they contained 400, 600, and ?.  IOW, well over a 1000' at no charge and
I could have had lots more.

CAT5 is VERY fragile, but when used as a pair, they gain strength and
are fairly safe and inch or two below the surface.  They aren't going to
be handling a lot of current, or even much current so the tiny stuff is
great, the price is right...even if you need to buy it. They can be a
bit irritating to fasten to the main ground connector at the base of the
vertical and also need to be protected from movement or any thing
catching on them.
> 8,000 feet of wire.  CAT5 is very easy to strip apart into four twisted

Often lengths of 100' or a bit more can just be pulled out of the jacket
without even cutting it.  Those 4 pair have lots of space in there.

73

Roger (K8RI)