[TowerTalk] lightning protection

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] lightning protection
From: "CRAIG CLARK" <jcclark@wildblue.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 15:48:49 -0500
"Techs from Poly Phaser said at the base of tower, "

Hmmmm. In a commercial installation I'd agree as there is usually a very
short run of feedline in to the transmitter room.

In most ham installations, however, the towers and antennas are often some
distance away from the base of the tower. If you protect at the base of the
tower, the feed and control lines are vulnerable to EMP from a near field
strike and you would be unprotected in the shack.

That's why I have all my protection where the feed and control lines enter
the house. I use a big aluminum box with very short leads to several ground
rods and bussed with the power line ground.

73 Craig K1QX