Re: [TowerTalk] dx baster antenna

To: k2vi <k2vi@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] dx baster antenna
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 15:01:08 -0500

k2vi wrote:
> One more query I have , A 1 s-unit gain is doubling your ratiated power
> correct? So an antenna that has a 1 sunit gain is equivalent to going from
> 100 to 200
As several have said, the accepted standard is 6 db per S-unit.  IOW 100
to 400 watts is one s-unit.
> watts. Or 750 to 1500 watts. All 1 sunit. It just doesn't seem linear...
S-meters have been notoriously inaccurate since they were invented. OTOH
It is possible to get equipment that does measure signal strength
accurately if you want to spend the money. How accurate the meters are
in todays best transceivers? I don't know.
> Not worth the extra $ to take down a tribander that has maybe 4dbd gain on
> 20mtrs for a huge mono band yagi with a 32' boom and truss supports for the
> boom ect for a mere 3.5 db gain. Maybe im missing something here.

There's more than just gain to consider and particularly front to back
along with front to side and side lobes.. A DXer would not agree with
your conclusion if they could get an extra 3.5 db gain over what they
had.  IF I had the space and towers I'd go with monobanders any day. An
antenna may be expensive but so is a power amp and unlike the antenna
which works on both transmit and receive the amp only gives gain on
transmit.
OTOH every thing is relative and that kind of decision is viewed
differently by just about every ham.

73,

Roger (K8RI)