Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions Solicited

To: "TowerTalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Antenna Analyzer Suggestions Solicited
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 14:45:32 -0800
On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 22:20:41 +0000, RICHARD SOLOMON wrote:

>The AIM 4170 is nice, BUT,
>hauling around a PC to use it is a major drawback.

Dick,

I'd give alternate advice. You already own a good unit that you can
drag up to the top of a tower. I have one too. Keep it for that
purpose. Buy the N2PK unit (best), the AIM 4170, or the Ten Tec TAPR
VNA (which I also own) and use it for more robust impedance
measurements, filter response measurements, etc. You will appreciate
the difference.

It is important to realize that NONE of these will measure a multi-
turn ferrite choke correctly (in fact, they will give you VERY wrong
answers). But they are quite useful for their intended purpose -- as
ANTENNA analyzers. The TAPR and the N2PK have the added function of
being a vector network analyzer.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC