Re: [TowerTalk] single point ground question

To: "towertalk@contesting.com" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] single point ground question
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2009 17:22:17 -0800
On Sun, 8 Mar 2009 18:49:21 -0400, David J Windisch wrote:

>Would it be worthwhile, or at least do no harm, to tie the rods on
>the south wall together and to my power/phone/cable-entry ground?

Yes, that would be a very good thing. Any conductor in contact with
the earth contributes to the conductivity to earth. The right way to
do this is to first bond all those rods together with all other rods
and other grounds (cold water, building steel, lightning rods), then
make one connection of that to the combination of the power system
neutral, the telephone lightning ground, the CATV lightning ground,
your tower ground, and your shack ground.

Remember also that the sole function of all the earth connections is
improved lightning safety. It has nothing to do with making your
radios or antennas work better or reducing noise or RFI. On the
other hand, bonding everything together as described CAN reduce
noise and RFI.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC