Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4 sq shortened vs full sized

To: "W0MU Mike Fatchett" <w0mu@w0mu.com>, "'Billy Cox'" <aa4nu@ix.netcom.com>, "'Tower Talk'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 80m 4 sq shortened vs full sized
From: Joe Reisert <Joe@Reisert.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 16:07:33 -0400
Mike etal,

I am using such an antenna. I significantly modified 4 MFJ-1792's to
work on 80 meters. I first used 16 but later upgraded to 32 1/4 WL
radials on each antenna and a Comtek combiner. The footprint is full
sized. Although it's narrow band (less than 100 KHz) it seems to do
well both on transmit and receive and hold its own on the low end of 80 meters.

 From my modeling, I lost less than 1 dB due to the losses in the
inductor. I replaced the MFJ top hat coat hanger wires with 8 49"
stainless steel whips, the kind usually used as 5/8 WL 32 meter car
mounted whips. This allowed me to significantly decrease the inductor
size from about 185 turns to 70 tuns and significantly lower the losses.

This season I worked many rare ones while only running 4 Watts at the
transmitter so it does work. My only problem is that an ice storm in
December caused large pine trees to fall on the guy wires and break
several of the verticals. However, I was able to repair and replace
the damaged tubing and all was back to normal just as the deep snow came.

73,

Joe, W1JR