Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering 66-Foot Vertical?

To: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] DX Engineering 66-Foot Vertical?
From: "Richard (Rick) Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 05:42:12 -0700
> larryjspammenot@teleport.com wrote:
>
> interested in the construction of the 66' DX Engineering vertical,
> not to use as an actual vertical antenna, but to mount in a tripod
> on my roof and then use it as a tall support for an 80M inverted vee.

A data point.  I had an inverted vee at 60 feet, using irrigation
tubing.  The bottom 30 ft was 3 inch O.D., and the top 30 ft was 2 inch
O.D.  Wall thickness was 0.050 inch.  This is about the flimsiest
that I would recommend.  It wiggled around quite a bit in 70+ MPH winds,
but never fell down.  It had 4 way guying at the top and another
set of guys halfway up.  Additional guying wouldn't have hurt.

I am currently using 3 inch for the whole 60 feet.  I'm not worried
about that at all in the wind.  OTOH, those tapered verticals I would
worry about a lot.

Rick N6RK