Re: [TowerTalk] Towers, real estate values and health hazards

To: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Towers, real estate values and health hazards
From: Richards <jruing@ameritech.net>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 01:30:09 -0400
This discussion of real estate values seems misplaced.

It believe it is beyond the pale some people will not care, and
others will care, about a tower in the neighborhood, or on a parcel
under consideration.

Of those who care, some will like it, and others will not.   I seriously
doubt there is any reliable way to quantify how many prospective
purchasers fall into any category.   Example - my mom would not
like it.  Example - I would not care.   Example - Many of my ham
friends would be thrilled to have a tower in the neighborhood - and
some of them would probably start a neighborhood antenna association.

Whether the tower is an asset or a liability is a matter of a myriad
factors,
not the least of which is the personal predilections of a prospective
purchaser for or against towers, the age and condition of the tower,
its proximity to lot lines,  the number of other towers in the area, the
overall visual impact of the beam or antenna on top, and hundreds
of other totally unquantifiable factors that may or may not matter to
an individual.

As a former trial attorney, who has cross a fair number of real estate
appraisers on differing occasions, I believe it is a real crap shoot, and
a matter of opinion, at best, whether a tower would affect home values
in any substantial way - for or against the seller's asking price.   For
some
it would be a deal breaker, others a deal maker, and still others,  just
something to deal with.   A very personal decision, I would think.

We can speculate as long as we desire, but I doubt we could
ever resolve this debate.

As for the health risks from radiation... I doubt the evidence is entirely
sufficient to form a reliable judgment thereon, either.   No more proved
than global warming... the safety of many drugs...  and many other
imponderables that may or may not be significant.

That's just MY take, anyway.