Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Accuracy / Usefulness

To: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>,towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] HFTA Accuracy / Usefulness
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 16:44:28 -0400
At 03:37 PM 3/18/2009, Steve Hunt wrote:
>I developed an analysis techniques which correlates an antenna's
>vertical response with the Angle-of-Arrival statistics published by
>ARRL. Basically it gives you a "figure of merit"  for an antenna at a
>particular height on a specific path and frequency. It's a useful tool
>for analysing the trade-offs at various heights. It shows very clearly
>that an antenna CAN be too high.
>
>QST will be publishing it next month or the one after. If you want a
>"sneak preview" the same material in a different form is presented on my
>web-site:
>http://www.karinya.net/g3txq/hexbeam/height_2/
>
>73,
>Steve G3TXQ

Steve, I published substantially the same method in the US National Contest
Journal in January 2001, with a correction in the September/October issue
to incorporate the point about applying the weighting to linear rather than
logarithmic relationships.  N6BV incorporated a Figure of Merit using the
same method in the first version of HFTA, which has been out since around
2003 or 2004.

A rather more interesting question to me, at this point, is what antennas
should be specified for the two ends of the path to generate the arrival
angle statistics.  There is a discussion of this on the ARRL TIS web page,
but as far as I'm concerned the jury is still out on that subject; in the
past, I had argued for isotropic antennas on each end of the path, so that
the statistics would reflect the actual behavior of the ionosphere rather
than the selection of antennas.  I'm now coming around to a somewhat
different view, if what you're interested in is trying to open up the most
"layers" of stations to work in a contest, for example.  At some point, the
lowest layers are guys with low dipoles or lossy ground-planes.

With luck maybe we can smoke Dean out and restart the discussion.

73, Pete N4ZR