Re: [TowerTalk] 2 & 3 el 40m Booms

To: "dan edwards" <w5xz@att.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 2 & 3 el 40m Booms
From: "Dave Johnson" <djohnson@windstream.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 12:41:35 -0400
Hey Dan,

I don't know about the scrap pile but here's what I do.  A 3" boom made of
12' pieces of 6061-T6 with .065 wall.  The splices are made from some scrap
2 1/2" schedule 40 aluminum pipe that has a 2.85" OD so I split the pipe
length ways then squeeze it together with hose clamps to get it in the
tubing.  I make the splice pieces about 10" long.

The elements have 2 pieces of 2" .058 wall  spliced together for the middle.
I made aluminum reducers that look like donuts 1" thick that will just fit
inside the 2" tubing.  I have a 1" hole in the center of these donuts and
slide 2 of them spaced 12" apart on a 12' piece of 1" .058 wall tubing.
Slide these in the ends of the 2" tubing then drill and tap for a 10-32
stainless bolt.  Next add a 12' piece of 7/8 .058 wall into the end of the
1" tubing and adjust to the length you need.

To make the elements stronger, add a 11' long piece of 7/8" tubing inside
the 1" making it double wall thick.  Add a 6' long piece of 3/4" inside the
end pieces of 7/8".

I hope this will give you some ideas.

Dave - K4SSU