Re: [TowerTalk] Discone Antenna

To: "Towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Discone Antenna
From: "Jim Hargrave" <w5ifp@gvtc.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 09:06:42 -0500
Roger,

I would assume the dielectric would be  a limiting factor on a straight top
disk. However, the ones that use a stinger on top usually have a base
stinger improves gain, but limits the overall frequency range. The normal
transmitting range of the Diskcone is 4x.

I built mine for a low frequency of 130 mhz and has respectable SWR from the
130+ aircraft frequencies all the way through the commercial 450 mhz band. I
do not have a coax connector at the gap. I use RG 213 connected directly to
the elements. I use a ceramic insulator and would suspect it to handle more
power than 200w. I have seen 1kw on a 6 meter version, but the spacing is
much larger between the disk and cone.

   * 73's Jim W5IFP *