Re: [TowerTalk] 6061 vs 6063

To: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 6061 vs 6063
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:01:37 -0700
> As a rough comparison, the springy  Aluminum alloys are much like a
> steel spring. They can be bent, but exceeding the minimum bend radius
> (which can be quite large) will end up fracturing the material just like
> bending a flat  coiled spring too far will cause it to break or shatter
> at the bend.
>
> With the advent of TIG welding, the ability to weld Aluminum has become
> far easier. Oxyacetylene welding of Aluminum can be done, but takes
> practice (One that I never managed to master). Even then it's easy to
> get a "granular" weld which is not all that uncommon on Aluminum tower
> cross braces.  The reason "Torch welding" is so difficult with Aluminum
> is the ability of Aluminum to transfer heat.   TIG welding creates a lot
> of heat concentrated in a small area from an electric arc.  The welding
> rod is fed into this arc with the two making the weld relatively easy to
> control.

Aluminum is difficult to weld for another reason. Unlike steel/iron,
which turn red/orange well before they get to the melting point,
aluminum melts at a low enough temperature that you can't tell by
looking how hot it is.  The visual cues are important (and with a good
TIG welder with foot pedal control, you get good at it, at least that's
what I'm told.. I'm a terrible welder)

And, oxidation is a big issue with torch welding.