Re: [TowerTalk] UST HDX555 motor drive

To: n9lah@comcast.net, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] UST HDX555 motor drive
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Apr 2009 08:44:00 EDT

In a message dated 4/7/2009 7:26:48 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
n9lah@comcast.net writes:

>  I have an HDX-555 tower with the motor drive for lifting. I  was working
on the coax recently and wanted to put the tower in the fully  extended
position the motor ran very very slow and just hummed before it  tripped
the circuit. I reset the breaker and tried to bring the tower  down. That
worked just fine. As the tower came to a stop I tried to raise  it again
and it went up just fine. I waited a couple of seconds and tried  the up
direction again and it tripped the circuit.Is it possible that the
starting capacitor is getting weak and can only energize the motor with
help from gravity when coming down and that it will then go up as the
motor has been energized? Maybe being in the outside environment, the
contacts between motor and capacitor need to be cleaned  up???

        I've never heard of a motor  failing in the very intermittent amateur
duty so I'm thinking it's your wire  size and voltage drop. Try a bigger
extension cord and see what happens. Of  course going down is much easier with
gravity on your side.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH