Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed tower question

To: <lboekeloo@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>, "K1TTT" <K1TTT@ARRL.NET>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guyed tower question
From: "Dave Johnson" <djohnson@windstream.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 09:22:32 -0400
Hey Larry,

I haven't read all the posts to your question so someone may have already
given you this very important suggestion.  When you dig the hole for the
base of your tower, be sure you put some gravel in the bottom of the hole
before you set the base section.  You must be sure that the bottom of each
tower leg is open and can drain water. Condensation will build up inside the
legs and if it can't get out it will freeze in the winter and split the
tower legs.  If you are going to use concrete in the base (not necessary
with a guyed tower) be sure the wet mix is not too wet.  It will also plug
up the legs and prevent drainage.

You didn't say if you are planning to use a house bracket to attach the
tower to a building but if you are, that bracket will hold the tower very
steady while you install 3 more 10' tower sections.  You can put the first
set of guys at 30' above the house bracket.

Good Luck and be careful.

Dave - K4SSU