[TowerTalk] Increased bandwidth of *fat* radiators

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Increased bandwidth of *fat* radiators
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 22:53:24 -0500
The discussion about cage dipoles and increased bandwidth is quite timely for
my QTH. Two days ago I found 3 feet of 1/4" aluminum tubing with a tiny hose
clamp attached to one end laying in the back yard. It had dropped off one end
of my 40m dipole. Something was obviously wrong... it was 70 degrees, calm, and
sunny outside. My normal luck is 20 below zero, 35 mph winds, and sleet.  :-)

I hooked up my AEA VIA Analyst and swept the 40m band. The dipole was now
resonant about 7.4 MHz instead of the normal 7.1 MHz. This horizontal dipole is
up 65 feet and is side mounted to my tower. It's a single element Telrex and
starts out 2.25" OD and tapers to 0.25" tips. It's a split element, direct fed,
and over 70 feet long.

Today I reinstalled the tip (nothing was broke, it only vibrated loose) and ran
another sweep with the Analyzer. It went back to 7.1 MHz on the nose.

I also have a 40m sloping dipole off the same tower which is probably at a 60
degree angle. This antenna is made from #12 solid copper with a Teflon-type
black coating. It also resonates around 7.1 MHz. Both antennas are fed with
RG8x coax, maybe 80 or 90 feet long. My measurements were made at the end of
the coax, not at the antenna feedpoint so there will be a bandwidth *bias*
(towards wider) in these readings.

I posted the antenna graphs as JPG files on my website here:
http://tinyurl.com/dzqpl6

The *Return Loss* graph will show the precise resonant frequency of both
antennas. The *VSWR* graph will show the "apparent" bandwidth of these two
antennas. What will jump out at you is the "fat" dipole has an unmistakable
wider bandwidth than the #12 wire. Comparing the 2:1 VSWR values, the wire is
about 480 KHz and the Telrex is over 1 Mhz. On a basic level this supports the
idea that a *fatter* radiator provides more bandwidth.

On many levels this comparison is "apples to oranges", but I thought some of
you would like to see *real world* values from antennas I use at my QTH. If I
get ambitious I might round up some more wire and buy some of those spreaders.
In that case the comparison will be "more equal" because I can compare an
antenna in the same position and orientation.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN