Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline ?

To: "towertalk@contesting.com Talk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Hardline ?
From: Bob Nielsen <n7xy@clearwire.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 18:29:58 -0700
On Apr 20, 2009, at 3:08 PM, Gary Schafer wrote:

> I hate to start something here,, but where does the "0.18 dB
> additional loss
> come from with any length of line"?
> Mismatch in and of itself does not necessarily represent loss.

True, but VSWR can introduce additional loss over and above the
insertion loss experienced with a perfectly matched transmission.
There's a figure in the ARRL Handbook (Figure 21.5 in the 2007
edition) which gives some values.  From the curve, a VSWR of 1.5
introduces an additional loss of 0.18 dB when the insertion loss is
around 10 dB.  Unless the loss is pretty high to begin with, this
additional loss can usually be ignored.

Bob, N7XY