[TowerTalk] 6M Beam being weird

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 6M Beam being weird
From: "Scott MacKenzie" <kb0fhp@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 11:43:53 -0400
All:

I have a 6M beam that is showing high SWR (10:1).  I checked each connector
to the antenna by disconnecting and placing a dummy load.  Finally up at the
antenna, I disconnected the antenna, and placed the dummy load as the
antenna.  Readings were 1:1 SWR.  I then clean up the connector at the
antenna, and retest.  SWR is still high.

I then pull down the antenna (K1FO or similar - not M2) and check it out.

With the coax disconnected, I check the connector - good continuity from the
center pin to the otherside of the connector (where the gamma match is
attached.

I check from center pin to ground on the conductor to see if shorted -
Circuit is open.

I check to make sure I have continuity between outside of gamma and rest of
antenna. Circuit is fine - and shows continuity.

The only thing I can think of left is to replace the coax less shield inside
the gamma.

What else can it be?

I was hoping to get this up higher in the air for the summer Es season.

Thanks

Scott