Re: [TowerTalk] Utility Pole Weight

To: Doug Rehman <doug@k4ac.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Utility Pole Weight
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 13:01:11 -0700

It's better to search on the pieces instead of the whole ...

Wikipedia says that wooden utility poles are typically made from Douglas
Fir or Jack Pine, among others.

A Google search on <douglas fir density> comes up with

http://www.csudh.edu/oliver/chemdata/woods.htm

for which Douglas Fir and jack Pine are both given as roughly 30 pounds
per cubic foot.  The preservative treatment might add a bit more.

Typical telephone poles might be somewhere around 10 inches or 12 inches
in average diameter (they taper, of course), which would have volumes of
0.55 cubic foot or 0.80 cubic foot per linear foot respectively.

That suggests a weight in the range of 15 to 25 pounds per linear foot,
probably tending toward the higher value.

73,
Dave   AB7E