Re: [TowerTalk] US TOWER MARB

To: "Dave" <w0zy@cox.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] US TOWER MARB
From: "Dino Darling" <dino@kx6d.com>
Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 12:15:28 -0700
To decouple the mast (tower) from the rotor is accomplished by removing
the intermediate shaft.  This is a short shaft that is clamped to the
rotor and bolted to the base bracket of the tower.  Its a simple set-up!

The whole TOWER rotates!  The "mast" is the 2" tubing inserted in the
top of the tower, of which your antennas are bolted to.  Again, there is
a base assembly that is clamped to the base of the tower and has a rod
which allows connection to the intermediate shaft.  There is no insert
up the middle.  You can actually make a special mast-to-boom bracket and
bolt antennas right to the tower, since it all rotates together!

For the MA-40, the Ham-IV and/or Yaesu 800 is the smallest rotor I would
use.  I would recommend the M2 rotor, but some would disagree.  I've
seen a MA-770 rotated by a Ham-IV.  I wouldn't recommend that!

The entire weight of the tower assembly and antennas sit on a single
thrust bearing on the MARB.  The rotor only needs to provide rotational
and braking torque.  The torque arm of the antennas is more of an issue
than the 4.5" tower...although it does add mass to the equation.

Dino - KX6D