Re: [TowerTalk] It's Getting Worse ...

To: RICHARD SOLOMON <w1ksz@q.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] It's Getting Worse ...
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 03:34:13 -0400

RICHARD SOLOMON wrote:
> My latest project is a K9AY Loop. I thought I could use a CAT5 cable to
>
> connect the relay box to the switch box. Of course, that requires one
>
> to solder the wires at the relay end.
>
> Well, to my surprise, the 100' CAT5 cable I picked up is made out of
>
> ALUMINUM wire.

I've never seen CAT5 or 6 that was anything but very *small* copper
wires in twisted pairs (4 pair per cable). Aluminum would be a higher
resistance per 1000' and I'd think the wires would need to be larger
diameter which could be a real pain with those crimp RJ45's or CAT6
equivalent.  The only difference I've seen in the connectors is the ones
for CAT5 have the wires side by side while they are staggered high/low
in the CAT6 connector.
Those wires are so tiny I don't see how they'd handle much current and
would be very fragile.

I just pulled out two runs of CAT 5 and replaced them with CAT6.

73

Roger (K8RI)