[TowerTalk] Glen Martin 1850 questions

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Glen Martin 1850 questions
From: <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 21:50:27 -0500
I am likely about to inherit a Glen Martin 1850 with its model H6 hazer.  The
antenna on it now is a Mosley TA-53M, which is not what will remain there.

My backyard is about 70 x 90, maybe 70 x 100, so that is what I have to work
with.

Couple-three questions:

1. Would star-guying (one set of guys at the top) noticeably increase the
safety margin of the tower?  It is rated at 16 square feet of load at the 87mph
gust, etc., and while I'm not dead in tornado alley, Springfield, MO can have
its share of winds.  OK, we've had about three tornadoes in town this year, but
ours are generally EF1.  My long-term hope would be a 3 element Steppir and the
Force 12 40/30 yagi (4 elements total on 20' boom).  That puts me about 13.3
square feet, plus rotator, mast.

2. Second, are any of you using this tower configured at 60', with a second set
of guys that are easily detached/reattached on the tower, or some similar
arrangement to allow the use of the Hazer and a second set of guys?

3. Elevated guys: 10' of 4" diameter pipe, 1/8" wall, filled with cement and
with flat plate on the bottom, 4' in the ground (concrete/rebar)?  Reasonable
for elevating the guy-wires?

Thanks in advance,
Art, K0RO