Re: [TowerTalk] Request for engineering help

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Request for engineering help
From: "Gene - W5DQ" <>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 19:14:24 +0000
"Three feet of the tower are buried in a cubic yard of concrete down two feet
from ground level."

My concern would be corrosion fatigue at the base. You didn't state the soil
condition, but assuming the following:

1) With an 8 land call you most likely get a fair amount of rain and snow
2) You indicated the tower itself was in the concrete / ground and not one a
base stub which is built to be in concrete and solid or sealed from water

With 1 & 2 above, you did not indicate any drainage holes supplied above ground
level nor how you alleviated any possibility of water from collecting in the
base section below ground level. I would hesitate to climb such an installation
until the base has been inspected for any corrosion, ground level and below. I
would bet the lower section is corroded from water intrusion below ground level.

Your installer is a very safe climber sounds like. Take his advice for
everyones sake!

Gene Brewer, W5DQ
Ridgecrest, CA
ARRL Life Member, DXCC, WAS, WAC
10-10 #24965, 6 Club #2325, SMIRK #6900,
NCDXF, QWCA #31839 First Licensed 1976