Re: [TowerTalk] Purpose of Thrust Bearing

To: <alwilliams@olywa.net>, "Towertalk e-Goups" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Purpose of Thrust Bearing
From: <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 17:35:42 -0700

In my opinion, people are needlessly getting hung up on terminology.

A thrust bearing is designed to do exactly what it says ... support forces that
are in line with the axis of rotation.  If you use it to support the weight of
your mast by tightening the set screws, you are using it for it's designed
purpose.  That may not be a good idea, though, if you have a reasonably long
mast and the mast is also secured to the rotator ... differences in
expansion/contraction between the tower and the mast can put undesirable (i.e.,
lifting) forces on the rotator that don't allow the bearing to seat properly.
Most rotators are designed to handle the vertical forces put on them by the
mast and antennas and should be used as such.

It often happens, however, that it is also useful to have a bearing around the
mast that handles lateral forces (perpendicular to the axis of rotation), such
as at the top of the tower or just above the rotator to keep the mast
positioned even when you remove the rotator.  A simple sleeve can often perform
that function, but usually so can a thrust bearing if the set screws aren't
tightened (I do it on my tower).  You just aren't using it for it's primary
purpose, that's all.

You can use a crowbar to pound in a nail, but it's still called a crowbar.

73,
Dave   AB7E