Re: [TowerTalk] telephone poles from the electric co.

To: <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] telephone poles from the electric co.
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 01:47:44 -0500
This is a timely subject because the utility company is replacing poles about a
mile south of my QTH. It appears the old 40 footers are being replaced by 60

I have been tempted to stop and ask the crew chief if they'd like to deliver a
half dozen and install them for me (I've got 25+ acres to play on). They are
sawing them off a couple feet above ground. I have seen them cut up into 4 foot
lengths and stacked along the ditch too.

The one thing I know is they are extremely heavy. Proper equipment is needed to
lift, tilt, and set them into the hole. If you're really interested in this, I
would talk to the crew foreman to see if there is any possibility they would
set a pole for you during their down time.

And here's a link to everything you ever wanted to know about utility poles:

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN

Message: 8
Date: Tue, 02 Jun 2009 22:15:13 -0700
From: "Harold R. Hepner" <>
To: Eric <>, antenna forum
<>, tower talk

In some counties/states, utility poles that have been removed form
service are considered hazardous waste. The poles may have been
replaced because they are no longer structurally sound.