[TowerTalk] MOVs in Stackmatch

Subject: [TowerTalk] MOVs in Stackmatch
From: Pete Smith <>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2009 17:15:40 -0400
I am repairing a Stackmatch that was damaged by voltage induced on
the control lines by a nearby lightning hit.  Most of the traces
going from the terminal strip to the hot side of the MOVs protecting
the relay coils are gone.  Do MOVs fail open or closed?  Is there any
way with minimal equipment to see if an MOV is still good? The relay
coils all appear OK, so I guess they did their job.

73, Pete N4ZR
New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at
The Reverse Beacon Network at