Re: [TowerTalk] Rigid Steel Conduit as Mast?

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rigid Steel Conduit as Mast?
From: "Jim Brown" <>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 22:53:56 -0700
On Fri, 5 Jun 2009 19:48:48 EDT, wrote:

>So how much exposed mast will you have below the  antenna (top of tower
>to antenna spacing)?

I plan to use a G1000 rotor and a 25AG3 top section, and the rotor shelf is 42
inches below the top of the tower. That will put about 3 ft of mast inside the
tower. I can use any length of exposed mast that is structurally suitable.

>The proposed material is  really 1.9" OD, which is a little skewed
>from normal 2" OD ham equipment but  probably not enough to be fatal. The
>SteppIR mast clamps are a really tight fit  on 2" tubing so I imagine there
>will still be a sufficient fit for a reliable  albeit slightly smaller
>installation. A 3L SteppIR is a relatively small load so  given your proposed
>installation, it'll probably be fine.

Thanks Steve. I measured the i.d. of the mast tube built into the top section.
It's 2.05 inches.

Mike said:

>The Steppir tends to slip on anything slightly smaller than a 2" mast, if
>you go this route use DX Engineering clamps, actually I would use them

Thanks for all the thoughtful comments.

Jim K9YC