Re: [TowerTalk] Design/Drawing for Crank up tower

To: amit singh <amlogin@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Design/Drawing for Crank up tower
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2009 06:07:23 -0700
amit singh wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I write this from Chandigarh, India. I have been following the posts on this
> group, and learning a lot in the process.
>
> I have a new Australian made HB-35-C tri-band yagi (Boom length 4.00 metres,
> Max element length 10.6 mts. Weight 22 kgs, Wind Loading 1300n) and a Yaesu
> G-1000DXA rotator. Now all I need is a suitable tower to put this on! I have
> a two-storeyed flat roofed house.
>
> My problem is that I do not have a suitable design or drawing in order to
> get a 3-section crank up tower fabricated. Such towers are not commercially
> available, locally, and the only option I have is to get one fabricated for
> myself with a simple achievable design. I wonder if anybody could help me in
> this respect.

Isn't there some design, originally from Australia, for a 2 section
crankup out there?

As you probably know, the structural part of the design is fairly
straight forward (albeit non-trivial): One could do it by looking at a
picture of a commercial product, estimating the sizes and dimensions,
and doing the calculations to see if it works, and then adjust.

The hard part is the little details.. how do you rig it so the cables
run properly, what kind of brackets do you need, what pulleys to use, etc.

jim