Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting Polyphaser IS-RCT to SPGP

To: Dick Green <dick@mailgreen.us>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Mounting Polyphaser IS-RCT to SPGP
From: jimlux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 06:25:47 -0700
Dick Green wrote:
> Why do you advise against an aluminum ground plate? Are you only against
> outdoor use or indoor as well? I have a pair of Hoffmann metal utility
> cabinets with aluminum grounding plates inside. They seem to be fine and
> haven't corroded a bit.
>
> 73, Dick WC1M

I was wondering the same.  Aluminum is almost the same conductivity as
copper and much cheaper and easier to machine.  For the same money, one
can probably get thicker aluminum (better mechanical properties..)

One advantage of copper is that you can solder to it (although soldering
to a big sheet is challenging from a heat standpoint), but bolted
connections to aluminum work pretty well, especially if you use one of
the goops designed for the purpose.