Re: [TowerTalk] Chicken Wire Ground Screen

Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Chicken Wire Ground Screen
From: Ian White GM3SEK <>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 23:09:26 +0100
W5CPT wrote:
>We used to use two 100' by 4' rolls of galvanized chicken wire laid out
>in a + pattern for a Field Day Vertical.  It worked well but was not
>permanent.  We attached the wires to the ground lug of the antenna with
>split-bolts and short pieces of 12 Ga solid wire. We held the chicken
>wire down with plastic tent pegs.
>How long it lasts in a permanent installation will depend on the
>acidity of the soil.  The higher the acidity, the faster the Zinc will
>go away and once it is gone the steel will be shortly behind.

I wish the steel did disappear as quickly as that!  A previous owner of
this QTH set up a field test about 20 years ago, and the steel is still
as sharp, rusty as ever.  The mesh isn't strong enough to tear up in one
piece - trying to do that makes the problem even worse.

IMO chicken wire is great for field days but a total menace for
permanent use.

73 from Ian GM3SEK