Re: [TowerTalk] Quick Disconnect Suggestion

To: Dick Green WC1M <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Quick Disconnect Suggestion
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 2009 04:05:20 -0400

Dick Green WC1M wrote:
>>> What do you use for your rotator, antenna switch, etc. connectors at
>>> your SPG boxes?
>> In one word, Nothing!  I do not normally disconnect the cables coming
>> into either station (shop or house) which are also interconnected.
>> There are just too many cables.
> That would have been my answer before the big disaster. Went 10+ years
> without a problem. Then the big one struck.
This tower has been struck at least 15 visually verified times and was
averaging 3 times a year, but hasn't been hit at all in the last two.
The tribander is at 100' wile the vertically polarized 144 and 440
arrays are at 130. There are 5 sloping dipoles from around 90 - 95', two
UHF TV antennas around 95', and a side mounted 144/440 repeater antenna
at roughly 50'. There's also a satellite dish at roughly 20' with 2 RG-6
cables from it.  What happens this summer? I'll tell you next winter.

Roger (K8RI)