Re: [TowerTalk] R7000

To: Rudy Severns <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] R7000
From: Bill Coleman <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 08:26:36 -0400
On Sep 15, 2008, at 12:16 PM, Rudy Severns wrote:

> Some multiband commercial verticals will work without a ground system.
> During my experiments earlier this year I tried an R7000 first with
> a large
> ground system and then removed the ground system.  I could barely
> tell the
> difference.  This check was done on 40m.  Didn't see if this held
> for the
> higher bands but I suspect it would.
> The signal from the R7000 was a couple of dB lower than a full 1/4-
> wave with
> the same ground system.  I suspect that was mostly due to loading
> inefficiency which is to be expected in short loaded antennas.

I have an R7000 mounted only 8 feet high. A couple of years ago, I
added eight 12 foot radials from the base of the support mast across
the ground. I found that this improved the reception of the antenna

This antenna was designed to be mounted about 18 or more feet off the
ground. I think the radials help by reducing the ground losses that
occur from it being so close to the ground.

             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901