Re: [TowerTalk] Sherwood ground screen

To: "" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sherwood ground screen
From: "Jim Brown" <>
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:29:34 -0700
On Mon, 15 Jun 2009 09:18:26 -0400, CRAIG CLARK wrote:

>May 1977 Ham Radio Magazine

Thanks for the link, Craig. While I agree with the author's premise
that the ground screen provides capacitive coupling to the earth, I
do NOT agree that the capacitive connection is what makes the
antenna work better. Rather, the screen is simply a practical
equivalent/alternative to ground-mounted radials and providing a lot
of conductive metal close to the feedpoint. Indeed, the author has
accidentally discovered what N6LF and others have long been saying
-- radials on the ground do not need to be resonant, they simply
need to provide a lower resistance path than the earth, and that
copper near the antenna is far more important than at a greater
distance from the tower.

Jim Brown K9YC