Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Height Question - Dual Yagi's

To: towertalk@contesting.com, n4zr@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Height Question - Dual Yagi's
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 2009 09:07:54 EDT

In a message dated 6/17/2009 5:45:11 A.M. Mountain Daylight Time,

>  FWIW, when I was building my first tower, 14 years ago, I  was
planning to go with 70 feet.  W3LPL, who is (and has been) at the  top
of the class for antenna and propagation expertise, strongly urged me
to go to ~100 feet for a single-tower station, and to put the 40M
beam  on top.  I did it, and have been glad I did.

>  I use this  tower to support an 80-meter wire parasitic array (not
quite a 4-square,  but a lot simpler to build), and shunt feed it on
160 with good  results.

    I totally agree. I'd do a little bit more  homework and run the HFTA to
see what the arrival/takeoff angles will be.

But aside from that, 100' gives you a sweet spot  on 20M and lower
arrival/takeoff angles on 40. A small tribander at 40-50' on  a side-mount will
also
be invaluable.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC

**************Dell Days of Deals! June 15-24 - A New Deal Everyday!
(http://pr.atwola.com/promoclk/100126575x1222865043x1201494942/aol?redir=http:%2F%2F
ad.doubleclick.net%2Fclk%3B215692145%3B38015538%3Bh)