Re: [TowerTalk] Plastic Pipe to Bury Coax?

To: John Frazier <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Plastic Pipe to Bury Coax?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:07:49 -0400

John Frazier wrote:
> Hey folks....
> I have been using BuryFlex with excellent results.  I'd like to use some LMR
> cable and take it under ground via plastic pipe for a 30 foot run.  Is there
> any special pipe I need or will any of the "standard" PVC pipe work?
Just remember the "old rule of thumb".  Decided on the maximum number
and size of cables you may ever run in the conduit. THEN *double* that
size (at least).

I happen to like PVC conduit, but water pipe and particularly drain pipe
makes an inexpensive alternative.   I buried drain pipe to carry the
water away from the downspouts. I found it works well as a conduit.
I prefer conduit, yet I do not use compound on the joints, unless you
count a little grease to get them to go all the way to bottoming out.
Even then, the larger sizes of PVC are not expensive at $3 or $4 per 10'

My wife is planting shrubs at each end of the shop. They dug into the
big conduit going to the tower this morning. Had I used a lighter
material it would have torn it out. Instead it just left some scrape
marks on the conduit.

Roger (K8RI)