Re: [TowerTalk] Questions about the HyGain HyTower theory of operation

To: "Dan Schaaf" <>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Questions about the HyGain HyTower theory of operation
From: "Rick Karlquist" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 2009 17:38:35 -0700 (PDT)
Dan Schaaf wrote:
> The stinger at the top is not electrically connected to the top of the
> tower? It is insulated and there is a wire that runs from the base to the
> stinger. In the manual, it is called the "80 meter wire".
> I am wondering why they did this instead of just electrically connecting
> the bottom of the stinger direct to the top of the tower.
> Does anyone know the answer?

The higher bands need to see a shorter tower, with high
impedance at the top.
> Next question: Has anyone tried to make a 60 meter stub for this antenna?
> Last question: Does one really need 3 x 3 x 3 ft of concrete to hold up a
> tiltover 100 lb. tower and stinger such as this antenna?
> Vy 73, Dan K3ZXL

It depends on the soil.  My soil is all clay and when it gets wet
is like peanut butter.  Based on experience with bases that have
failed, I would say that the 3x3x3 base may actually be needed
in my soil.  Of course YMMV.

Rick N6RK