Re: [TowerTalk] Self-support Tower on Rock?

To: 'Towertalk e-Goups' <TowerTalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Self-support Tower on Rock?
From: Joe - WDØM <wd0m@wd0m.com>
Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 15:04:08 -0600
Hi Eric,

I had a similar "problem" with rock just inches under the soil on my 5
acres here in Colorado.  With more than a little trepidation, I decided
to install the tower base above ground by cementing rebar into holes
that I drilled into the rock.  It's been up for 5 years with no problems
despite 90 mph winds.  The tower is a US Tower TX-455with a SteppIR 4L
and 30/40 M add on at roughly 60 feet.  You can see how I did it at:

http://www.wd0m.com

Click on Ham Radio, then Tower Project.  I consulted with local
microwave tower installers who put them on mountaintops with nothing but
rock to use as a ground.  Their suggestion was to use 50 foot lengths of
copper strips laid out on the ground to carry the lightning away from
the tower.  I don't have a ground rod except at the SPG near the house.
They say it works well here in the Rocky Mountains.

I've had a hit, and, coupled with the SPG grounding system, everything
survived OK.  My control cables and coax are simply placed on top of the
ground and run back to the house.

Please let me know if you have questions.  Different sites will
certainly have different obstacles to overcome.  Good luck with your
project!

73,

Joe
WDØM