Re: [TowerTalk] Shrink Tubing on Coax & PL-259?

To: Jon Casamajor <k6el@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Shrink Tubing on Coax & PL-259?
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 21:22:34 -0400

Jon Casamajor wrote:
> Hi Scott,
>
> I've had good and not so good experiences with using shrink tubing on
> PL-259. The good is with the really heavy duty "flooded" variety. It is
> flooded with adhesive that really bonds the tubing to the coax. I found some
> the other day at a local electrical supply house. It is labeled; "PANDUIT
> HST0.8 600V. it is a bright salmon red color and a 6" piece cost me $7.15!

Go to the electrical supply houses.  The stuff that is large enough to
fit over a PL-259, or even LMR-600 connector and shrink to less than a
1/4", very heavy duty and costs about $10 for a 4' length.
> The bad I had was with the garden variety thin walled stuff that let water
> in and held it in and allowed it to migrate into the coax that I had poorly
> prepared and left one braid hole un soldered...one of those "temporarily
> permanent" cables that ended up permanent and was a bear to track down. Get
> the good stuff if you want the insurance. I will never cut a corner in
> soldering again. :-)

One of the reasons I went to crimp connectors.  I've had no problems
with them. OTOH I had no problems with solder type -259s either.  OTOH I
can do 4 or 5 crimp connectors in the time it takes me to do one solder
type.
> I have found what I think is a better solution than heat shrinking. The Self
> bonding Silicon tape is really impressive, easy to use and less expensive.
> Gardner and Bender, GB Electrical products carries a version as do most Ace
> Hardware stores. This is the same tape that SteppIR uses to bond their
> fiberglass elements together. Take a look at this option also.

Don't forget the "liquid electrical tape" either.

73

Roger (K8RI)