Re: [TowerTalk] Tall masts and buildings

To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tall masts and buildings
From: <john@kk9a.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 2009 12:08:42 -0400
Now anyone can get experience the scary view from the former Sears Tower:
http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2009/05/a-glass-bottom-skydeck-for-sears-tower.html

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tall masts and buildings
From: foxbw
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 18:00:23 +0000 (UTC)

I can attest to the fact that even tall buildings move in the wind.  I had
the
scarey

experience of helping to install some new 800MHz TXs in the very tippy-top
of

the Sears Tower, I believe the highest elevator let us off on the 122nd
floor.
Then

a two story climb up an outside fire escape-type staircase to a door in the
wall

of a room inside of which was all the various comm gear for numerous
services.

This room gave very short runs for all the coax to the numerous antennas.

It was at night and raining and the wind was blowing.  You could stare at a

fixed point and see the relative motion between the fixed point and a corner
of

the Sears Tower .

And no, I do not care to repeat the experience.

Barry - W1HFN