Re: [TowerTalk] Tower installation costs

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower installation costs
From: "Perry - K4PWO" <k4pwo@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 2009 00:48:41 -0500
Here's my totals for my "on going" install to date...

Excavation (backhoe operator) 6' x 6' x 5' (hit bed rock) = $150
Form material (elevated form to get 6' concrete depth) = $100
7 yards of concrete = $724
Rock (hauled it myself) = $45
Ground rods for UFER tie to rebar = $50
Cadwelds (Ebay), ground wire (scrounged), hardware = $50
Rebar cage (scrounged plus some bought), free welding and stainless steel
tie tabs) = $50
3" PVC conduit = $200
NEMA 4 cabinet (Ebay) = $100
Unistrut and hardware= $50
Copper - 50' of 1.5" strap and 12" x 12" sheet (NEMA box to ground) = $95
Lightening arrestors (L-Com) = $100
2000' LMR400 clone = $700

Sub total = $2414

Still to do...
Rent trencher
House SPG box
Metallic 3" conduit for "choke" at house SPG (The idea is the conduit forms
a sleeve choke. I don't really know
if it'll aid in lightening protection but its going under a sidewalk so I
needed it anyway.)
Additional ground rods
Additional grounding wire
Additional Cadwelds
Rotor wire
Rotor arrestor block

Estimated = $800
For a total around $3200...

That's doing a lot of the work on a "barter" basis, doing it yourself,
having good friends in the building and other trades, and does not include
BBQ and drink costs! ;-> (only AFTER the work is done... HI!)
I'll end up with a lot of LMR400 left over (6 to 8 150' runs needed) and
Gary is using "better" arrestors than I am so mine is a "low" end estimate
compared to Gary's better instalation.

73 de Perry - K4PWO