[TowerTalk] abreviated radial systems

To: "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] abreviated radial systems
From: "Rudy Severns" <n6lf@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 11:48:25 -0700
I have recently completed a series of tests comparing the signal strength
between a 40m vertical with 32, 1/4-wave, radials in a complete circle to
the same vertical with a sector missing from the radial system.  This
represents the case of placing a vertical near an obstruction such as a
building.  Even over my rather good soil the results are discouraging.
There is signal reduction in all directions but the greatest reduction is
towards the missing sector.  I observed from 0.5 to over 3 dB of signal loss
in various directions.  Over poor soils these numbers would be even worse.
This does not take into account the loss due to a building in immediate
proximity to the vertical which is not likely to have a positive impact.
NEC modeling gives similar results to my experiments, overall signal
strength is down and the pattern is distorted.

These results will be published in the Nov/Dec 2009 issue of QEX magazine.
In the meantime I suggest that placing a vertical against a building is
probably a bad idea.  If you have any other option, take it.

73, Rudy N6LF