[TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Identification

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Rohn Tower Identification
From: Howard Hoyt <hhoyt@mebtel.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 09:15:34 -0400
Steve,

You may have already cross-referenced your measurements against the Rohn specs,
but could it be one of the Rohn SSV series?  If so, the base you roughly
measured would be either a 8N, with a 8' 6-3/4" spread (leg center-to-center)
or a 9N with a 10' 6-3/4" spread.  Of course, these have diagonal bracing
1-1/2" and 1-3/4" respectively, not the 3" you state.

Good luck!

Howie
WA4PSC

>>  I am trying to identify a tower I am in the process of obtaining.
>>It appears to be an old Rohn tower based on some of the hardware
>>with it which bears Rohn's name. It is 150 ft self supporting tower
>>with the bottom section just over 9 feet between the legs and 3"
>>angle iron brackets and approx. 3" tubular steel legs.  These were
>>used at the State Highway Patrol posts in Ohio and I have contacted
>>them but since the tower is so old they have no info on it. The
>>tower is designed to sit on 3 piers, but I do not have any idea what
>>size they need to be hence trying to come up with some info on the
>>tower. I plan on using about 120-140 ft of it to support a full size
>>4 element 40 meter beam, somewhere around 23 sq ft of windloading.
>>I am in the process of getting some photos if anyone can help me.

Tnx es 73,
Steve, WD8NPL