Re: [TowerTalk] climbing technique

To: towertalk@contesting.com, w3dl@dejazzd.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] climbing technique
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2009 15:59:52 EDT

In a message dated 7/30/2009 3:45:23 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,

>  Hi, I'm trying to figure out the technique used on wide  self-supporting
towers with step bolts on only one leg and angle cross  bracing, like a
Rohn SSV, to cross over to a leg without the step  bolts.

>  I'm going to be getting intimate with a 180 footer  that is 10ft or more
across between legs, and all 3 legs have antennas  mounted on them which
will need attention from time to time, and I don't  seem to see a safe
way to get across.

    Now you see why those professional tower make  their money.

    Since you'll be wearing your Fall Arrest Harness,  always have the FA
lanyard hooked above you to catch you in case you peel  off.

    Most climbers would use the step bolts up to  where you need to be and
then walk across the diagonals. They're usually close  enough to have one to
hang onto (and hook your FA lanyard) as you're walking  across. If there's
a cable ladder, you can use that. Pretend you're rock  climbing and figure
out the route over to where you need to be. It is a pain  sometimes but you
don't have many options.

Cheers,
Steve     K7LXC
TOWER TECH -