Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Waterproof Connectors

To: "W5CPT" <w5cpt@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rotator Waterproof Connectors
From: "Rick Karlquist" <richard@karlquist.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2009 16:32:43 -0700 (PDT)
W5CPT wrote:
> I use two 4 pin trailer connectors. One female and one male on rotor end
> (and the opposite on the cable).  Cheap and available at any Wal*Mart.
> There are some 8 pin versions around but not available locally.
>
> Clint - W5CPT

This is a popular solution, but these are not true connectors,
but come only as pigtails that must be spliced onto the cables.
The splices must then be waterproofed.

What I decided to do instead was use ordinary non waterproof
connectors and simply tape up the junction to waterproof it,
along the lines of taping coax connectors.  There is a minor
disadvantage that it must be untaped and retaped when the
connection is broken, but you probably aren't going to be
doing that a lot with a rotor.   This has worked well for me.

Another solution (that I haven't tried) is to use D-subminature connectors
with weatherproof boots.  See:

http://www.l-com.com/productfamily.aspx?id=2194

Rick N6RK